Sunday, January 11, 2009

BLOG ASSIGNMENT #1

1. How would you have explained the meaning of the term "ethics", before taking this class?
When I think about ethics, I usually think of the phrase "ethical behavior", which to me means that you are acting in a way that would be acceptable to the majority of people in today's culture. For instance, I don't think it is ethical to lie or deceive people no matter what the situation is.

2. What are some of your deepest held values?
Honesty, loyalty, trustworthiness, courage, devotion.

3. What are some main principles you try to live your life by?
Fairness, sincerity, kindness, compassion, enthusiasm, loving. I was raised in a Christian home and went to a Christian school through the 12th grade and I believe those principles are what guide me from day to day. I reflect on those principles in my daily activities with my family and the people that I work with.

4. What moral qualities do you look for in others?
We live in such a diverse society that I don't expect to see the same moral qualities in all people, but I do expect to see people treat each other fairly, equally and with respect. One of the biggest things that I appreciate is for a person to assume that other people are basically good until proven otherwise.

5. How were your values and principles developed?
I think my values and principles were developed by my childhood and early adult experiences. I have always worked since I was old enough to have a job and I think that makes up a lot of where my values and principles come from. I believe in hard work and doing the right thing even when nobody is watching. I spent 23 years in the military and still believe that if you live your life with honor, courage and commitment that most of the other things will fall into place.

6. How have your values and principles changed throughout your life so far?
I think there was sort of a balancing act going on throughout most of my life. I was raised in a Christian home, but it wasn't all prayers and hymn singing. In my later teens and early adult life it would be an understatement to say that I was wild. As my career progressed and I had a family I realized that I needed to be more of a role model for the young people who looked up to me and for my two children that mean the world to me. I am certainly not anywhere close to perfect, but I do try live in a way that won't bring discredit to my family.

7. Out of 25 points, how many points do you feel your work on this assignment deserves? Justify your answer.
Twenty-five. That is one-half point for each time I tried to get to the point that I could actually put words on this screen. Answering the questions was thought provoking and time consuming but I enjoyed that part.

No comments:

Post a Comment