Wednesday, January 28, 2009

BLOG #4 - Ethics hybrid south campus

1. Paragraph: Explain in your own words what Moral Relativism is—what do people who hold this view believe?

Moral Relativism is difficult to define but to me it is the belief that "moral" is defined by the person, that whatever the person believes is ethical or true defines their morals. My personal experience with this issue has shown me that the people who buy into this belief see everything as a "gray area", that there really is no black or white, right or wrong.

2. Paragraph & Link: Find one online resources related to this topic—not Wikipedia. Explain in a brief paragraph what you learned about this topic through the resource you found; include the link at the end of your paragraph.

I read a few articles on the internet about moral relativism, most of which gave fair and objective remarks. I think the one I felt most in tune with was written by Jonathan Dolhenty, Ph.D.. His assertion was that the moral relativists in the real world are not "relative" at all, but were more aptly defined as "absolutists". One of the examples that he used was that of the feminist movement. He pointed out that true relativists would not be bothered by the way the Taliban treat their women, or by child-adult sexual activity, or rape. But in reality the feminist movement would certainly take a stand (absolutism -not relativism) and demand that Taliban women be treated humanely, that child-adult sexual activity is wrong and should be punished and that rape is a crime whether the perpetrator considers it "making love" or not. His conclusive argument is that moral relativism is a myth and that there has to be at least one rational, objective standard by which we can judge human actions as right or wrong. To read more on the topic, please go to: www.radicalacademy.com/ethicsmyth.htm

3. Argument: Compose a short argument, in “argument elements” form. I’ll provide the arguable issue; you provide the rest. Make sure each of your premises is a complete sentence, and that your argument doesn't break any of the rules listed in the first chapter of the Rulebook for Arguments:

Arguable Issue: The arguable issue is whether or not Moral Relativism is a good view to hold.

Conclusion: Moral relativism is not a good view to hold.

Premises:

(1) There has to be a defining line between right and wrong.

(2) The most vile act that you can think of would be acceptable to a moral relativist.

(3) If you honestly believe in moral relativism, you would have no conscience.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASSIGNMENT PART TWO
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Paragraph: Explain in your own words what a Majority View is. Cite your sources.

When Hillary Clinton is raising the children in her "village" and all the adults in the village decide that it would be okay for married people to have sex with the servants, then they have established a "majority view". If that same group of villagers was unsure what exactly "sex" was and they decided that fellatio was actually sex, then it is so, because the majority of the villagers agree. Some people may not agree with that definition, but they would not be in the majority, so their opinion would be considered wrong. According to Dr. Gregory Berns, professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta, GA, the two most common ideas to support this theory is that people look to the group because they’re unsure of what to do, and that people go along with the norm because they are afraid of being different.


2. Arguable Issue: The arguable issue is whether or not the Majority View is a reliable basis for ethical decision-making.

Conclusion: The Majority View is not a reliable for ethical decision-making.

Premises:

(1) History has proven that the majority view is not always right.

(2) Not all people in the group really know what is going on or have all the information they need to make an informed decision.

(3) Majority view is sometimes driven by emotion, and not objective data.



The Role of Feelings

1. Paragraph: Explain in your own words what feelings are. Cite your sources.

The role of feelings begins with the premise that we all begin basically as "good" people and that we should be allowed to do whatever we want to do as long as it feels "good" and right to the individual. The psychologist Carl Rogers said that we should accept and affirm the feelings of others without reservation or evaluation. If we carry this out in reality we would all do whatever we want to do, whether it be evil or noble and we would eventually end up in total chaos.

2. Arguable Issue: The arguable issue is whether or not our feelings are a reliable basis for ethical decision-making.

Conclusion: Our feelings are not a reliable basis for ethical decision-making.


Premises:

(1) Personal feelings may give no regard for the feelings of others

(2) Decision-making should be based on objective standards, not emotions.

(3) Personal feelings do not necessarily agree with accepted morals.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASSIGNMENT PART THREE
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The ability to express yourself in your own words is essential in this class. Did you put everything in your own words this time?


I always try not to plagiarize, though sometimes the thought is so well written by the author that it is very difficult to express the same meaning when paraphrased. This assignment is written in my own words.

What was easiest / hardest about this assignment?

A lot of this seems related to me, and I sometimes have trouble keeping the ideas straight in my head. Like moral relativism and the role of feelings both seem like a total disregard for what I consider to be acceptable values. I think some of these ideas conflict with my opinions and remaining objective when I put things in my own words is often a challenge.

How will you apply what you learned through this assignment to your everyday life?

I didn't think the lesson on arguments would be as meaningful to me as it has been. I have been put in (or put myself in) positions where I had to defend my position in the past and it has not always turned out the way I wished it would have. I feel like am better prepared to argue now.


How well do you think you did on this assignment? Explain
I think my assignments get better each time. I will admit tht I have taken classes before and not completed the assigned reading. I have read the material this time and feel like I have learned from it.

1 comment:

  1. Paul,

    Excellent post; I admire it for many reasons. Your premise in the Moral Relativism argument, about conscience, made me think about ways the two concepts relate, which is timely since next week we'll be discussing conscience in more detail. Plus, I thought you explained each of the concepts very well--I know how hard this can be. As you say,

    "I always try not to plagiarize, though sometimes the thought is so well written by the author that it is very difficult to express the same meaning when paraphrased. This assignment is written in my own words."

    I also liked the information you found; Dr. Bern's take on the majority view was interesting.

    And finally, it makes me incredibly happy to read how much you are learning from these assignments, especially how the arguments lessons are proving to be so useful. Thanks for your hard work and insights! :) Karla

    ReplyDelete