Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Blog assignment #9

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASSIGNMENT PART ONE
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this section, we're going to return for a moment to Chapter 7, to the section that discusses errors that are common in the analysis of moral issues (p. 89). Breifly explain each of the following errors in your own words, as if you were explaining the concept to a friend who had never taken this class (consider who, what, when, where, why, how, when); and then give an example of each one, preferably from your own past experience.

Unwarranted Assumptions: To avoid making unwarranted assumptions when we are trying to make a decision on the morality of a given action or decision, we need to be careful to pay attention to only the facts that are given and not assume anything unless it is specifically stated.

Unwarranted assumptions occur frequently in hospital settings. In many instances you may assume that the age/gender of the patient and their visitors are an indication of their relationship. For example you walk into a room and see an elderly man and a young, caring female - you may logically assume the elderly male patient is being visited by his daughter. Or, you see a young male patient with an older female visitor - you may assume that the mother has brought her son to the hospital. I recently walked into a room with an older (late 50's) woman and a young man in his early twenties. (mother/son??) While I was starting an IV on the lady, she began a very descriptive dialogue about her sexual preferences and things that she found very pleasurable in bed. Moral decision on my part: inappropriate discussion for mother and son, especially in the presence of a stranger. Shortly thereafter, she asked him for a kiss, which was deep and wet and sent a wave of nausea over me. I left the room disgusted, only to find out later that the young man was really her "significant other".

Oversimplification: When we examine the morality of a situation we need to be sure to look at the whole picture to make sure that all the relevant facts are considered and we avoid oversimplification.

Recently we had an issue of a pharmacy technician dispensing a medication without a written order from the doctor and without the approval of a pharmacist. In its simplest form this could be grounds for ending the technician's career. Under closer review, it became clear that the technician made the right choice by supporting the E.R. staff and providing the necessary medication to save a patient's life even though there was no written order and there was no pharmacist available.

Hasty Conclusions: When I think of "hasty conclusions" I think of the old phrases "guilty until proven innocent" and "perception is reality". We need to avoid making decisions before we examine the situation fully and make sure that we see things clearly and in the right perspective.

One of the most frequent examples of "hasty conclusions" that I can think of is the conclusion that a man and a woman are having an affair if they work together and get along well. I was the victim of this situation at work. I worked with a woman about the same age as I was and with several things in common to talk about and also a common work ethic. It was several months later that I found out that some of the other employees had come to the conclusion that we were having an affair and that I was the father of her college-age daughter, even though I had known her less than a year and had no contact with her whatsoever outside of our professional relationship.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASSIGNMENT PART TWO
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Briefly answer the following "chapter opening" questions, in your own words, based on what you learned by studying chapter eight:
1. What do we do in situations where there is more than a single obligation?


More than one obligation can lead to some difficult decisions. It is our responsibility to weigh the benefits and consequences of each alternative and then act upon the one that we determine to be the best choice. It is usually best to take the "moral high ground", and act according to accepted values instead of emotions.

2. How can we reconcile conflicting obligations?

Conflicting obligations need to reviewed and decided upon objectively. You need to examine the obligations fully and in a clear light to determine which one would be the best course of action. We should go with the one that does the most good even if it is not always the easiest choice..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASSIGNMENT PART THREE
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. In a nutshell, what is the most important thing, for you, that you learned from this assignment?

It reinforced many of the ideas and values that I have acquired after many years in the workforce dealing with people from all walks of life and with values that often seem foreign to me. It made me think about the way that I conduct my life and deal with people on a daily basis, whether that be at home with my family or at work with people from a multitude of cultures.

2. How will you apply what you learned through this assignment to your everyday life?

I think I will be able to reflect on these chapters when I find myself in a situation that calls for tough decision-making. I think that I will be more able to sort out my obligations and make the right choices, not just the easiest way out.

3. What grade do you believe your efforts regarding this assignment deserve? Justify your answer.

It takes me a long time to read and complete these assignments and find applications in my life that fit the relevant chapters. I try to answer the questions to the best of my ability and put my feelings into the correct format. I believe my work is deserving of the possible 25 points listed on the syllabus.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent examples in that first section! I was impressed by how each and every one of your examples illustrated a MORAL judgment--not a mere preference judgment. That middle example in part one was entertaining, too. I noticed how most of your examplesin part one illustrated moral judgments about RELATIONSHIPS, which is what our chapter this week is about. I don't know if you intended to do that, but I'm happy they ended up that way. :)

    My challenging question to you this time is this: According to the chapter, what two main options do we have, when confronted by conflicting obligations? What role does the concept "sense of proportion" play in one of those options?

    ReplyDelete